Building Better Support for Your Smile
At Viera Dental Arts in Melbourne, Florida, one of the oral surgery procedures we offer is bone grafting. We understand the importance of maintaining healthy teeth and gums. However, sometimes due to injury, decay, or periodontal disease, patients may lose a tooth or multiple teeth. In such cases, bone grafting may be recommended to restore bone density and support the placement of dental implants.
Why Grafting Is Recommended
Bone grafting is a procedure in which a type of bone replacement material is placed in a defect and allowed to heal. In many cases, grafting becomes necessary because a tooth has been removed. To preserve the ridge and ensure there is adequate bone for an implant or to maintain the ridge for a bridge, bone grafting becomes necessary. There are numerous kinds of grafting material on the market. Common sources include cadaver, bovine, ceramics, or synthetic-type substitutes.
Bone grafting is also essential for dental implants. Dental implants require a strong foundation to support the artificial tooth and ensure long-lasting results. Therefore, if a patient lacks sufficient bone density, a bone graft may be required to rebuild the bone structure.
The Bone Grafting Process
Before the procedure, our dentist will evaluate the patient’s condition and determine the best type of bone grafting for them. There are different types of grafts, including autogenous, allogenic, and xenograft. The dentist will discuss the pros and cons of each option with the patient.
The grafting process typically involves the following steps:
- Local anesthesia will be administered to numb the surgical area.
- A small incision will be made in the gum tissue to access the bone.
- The bone graft material will be inserted into the surgical site.
- The incision will be closed with sutures or tissue glue.
- The patient will be given post-operative instructions and medication for pain management.
The Recovery Process
Recovery time for bone grafting varies depending on the type of procedure, the size of the graft, and the patient’s overall health. Patients may experience some discomfort and swelling, but this can be managed with medication and ice packs.
To promote proper healing, patients will need to follow specific aftercare instructions. For example, they will need to avoid chewing on the surgical site and stick to a soft food diet for several days. Patients will also need to avoid smoking, as it can delay the healing process.
Benefits of Bone Grafting
Grafting offers several benefits to patients, including:
- Improved oral health: Bone grafting helps restore bone density and provides support for dental implants, improving the patient’s overall oral health.
- Aesthetic benefits: Bone grafting can help fill in facial contours that have changed due to bone loss, giving patients a more youthful appearance.
- Long-lasting results: Dental implants that are supported by a bone graft have a higher success rate and can last for many years.
- Improved quality of life: grafting can help restore the ability to chew and speak properly, improving the patient’s quality of life.
Schedule Your Consultation With Us
If you are experiencing bone loss due to injury, decay, or periodontal disease, or if you are considering dental implants, bone grafting may be the solution for you. At Viera Dental Arts in Melbourne, Florida, we offer a range of oral surgery services, including grafting, to help restore your oral health and give you the smile you deserve.
If you would like more information about bone grafting or any of our other dental services, please do not hesitate to contact us. Our friendly and experienced team is here to answer your questions and help you achieve optimal oral health. You can learn more about us by checking our business page, and make sure to get directions before heading our way.
Call Viera Dental Arts today at (321) 255-4644 or send us an email to schedule a consultation with Dr. Gollob and see if you are a good candidate for bone grafting.